Shockwave Therapy Toronto, Etobicoke & GTA
Shockwave therapy is a non-invasive treatment that involves creating a series of low energy acoustic wave pulsations that are directly applied to an injury through a person’s skin via a gel medium. The concept and technology originally evolved from the discovery that focused sound waves were capable of breaking down kidney and gallstones. Generated shockwaves have proven successful in a number of scientific studies for the treatment of chronic conditions. Shockwave therapy is its own treatment for a lingering injury, or pain resulting from illness. You don’t need painkillers with it - the purpose of the therapy is to trigger the body’s own natural healing response.
Therapy sessions are short, usually 20 – 30 minutes in length, and provide successful relief of chronic pain and restores mobility painlessly. Permanent relief typically begins about 72 hours following treatment.
How does shockwave therapy work?
Using a much lower energy than in medical applications, shockwave therapy, or extracorporeal shock wave therapy (ESWT), is used in the treatment of many musculoskeletal conditions, primarily those involving connective tissues such as ligaments and tendons. Shockwave therapy is most suited for people who have chronic (ie greater than six weeks) tendinopathies (commonly referred to as tendinitis) which haven't responded to other treatment; these include: tennis elbow, achilles, rotator cuff, plantar fasciitis, jumpers knee, calcific tendinitis of the shoulder. These could be as a result of sport, overuse, or repetitive strain.
Shockwave therapy has shown to effectively treat the following conditions:
- Feet - heel spurs, plantar fasciitis, Achilles tendonitis
- Elbow – tennis and golfers elbow
- Shoulder - calcific tendinosis of rotator cuff muscles
- Knee - patellar tendonitis
- Hip – bursitis
- Lower leg - shin splints
- Upper leg - Iliotibial band friction syndrome
- Back pain - lumbar and cervical spine regions and chronic muscular pain
Some of the benefits of shockwave therapy treatment:
- Shockwave therapy has excellent cost/effectiveness ratio
- Non-invasive solution for chronic pain in your shoulder, back, heel, knee or elbow
- No anesthesia required, no drugs
- Limited side effects
- Main fields of application: orthopedics, rehabilitation, and sport medicine
- New research shows that it can have a positive affect on acute pain
After the treatment, you may experience temporary soreness, tenderness or swelling for a few days following the procedure, as the shockwaves stimulate an inflammatory response. But this is the body healing itself naturally. So, it’s important not to take any anti-inflammatory medication after treatment, which may slow down the results.