How does physiotherapy help with Sciatica?
If you are going through Sciatica, chances are there that your doctor will suggest you go with physiotherapy in order to give your healing process a pace. Firstly, you need to know, what does Sciatica means? The pain in the back of your leg originating from the spinal nerve is termed sciatica. You might face difficulty in walking or while making leg muscle movements if you are suffering from sciatica. However, you can count on the Waterfront Physio team in Toronto to gain full fitness again and that too, quickly.
So, how does physiotherapy help in sciatica? This blog will answer this question and will give you clarity on why you should trust physiotherapy if you are suffering from Sciatica.
How does Sciatica Occur?
While now you know the use of physiotherapy for Sciatica, we also list some of the most common causes of this condition. It might help you stay a bit careful and avoid this irritating pain at all.
1) Heavy Lifting: This is one of the most common reasons for Sciatica to occur. Be it your profession, or an unavoidable circumstance that made you do the heavy lifting, there are always chances of Sciatica occurrence. So, just be a bit careful while doing the heavy lifting and avoid doing it at all if it’s not needed.
2) Your Age: As you age, your muscles start weakening and thus inviting this terrible condition.
3) Sports Injury: Sciatica is one of the most common forms of injury for athletes. The hard-running often causes them injury in the back leg and thus leading them to Sciatica pain.
4) Awkward Sitting Positions: Sometimes, awkward sitting positions increase pressure on the leg and cause sciatica pain.
Why Physiotherapy for Sciatica?
So, now is the time to get an answer to the question “Why is physiotherapy recommended for Sciatica”?. We list the answers below. Check them out.
1) Workout Improves Blood Flow: Most people feel that bed rest will heal their sciatica quickly. However, staying active is highly advised when it comes to getting relief from sciatica in less time. Performing some exercise on the regular basis is a must if you wish to get rid of sciatica soon.
However, a workout never implies the heavy exercise that you do in gyms. Some simple physio exercises will improve the blood flow in your legs and thus give you quick relief from the pain.
2) Massage Therapy Always Helps: Massage is one of the most reliable and the best ways to get rid of sciatica. Massage therapy releases tension from the muscles and thus releases the nerves. Massage therapy not only gives the Sciatica recovery a pace but also gives you some mental peace which is extremely desirable while you are going through irritating pain.
3) Acupuncture: Nothing better than acupuncture when it comes to reducing inflammations. Acupuncture helps the muscles surrounding the spinal nerve to relax and ensure that their movement is up to the mark. Acupuncture is an integral part of physiotherapy and is highly recommended if you are going through Sciatica treatment.
4) Light Stretching: We are using the word light as hard stretching might make things worse for you. Just perform light stretching exercises every day. It improves the overall muscle movement along with blood flow. Again, please be gentle with this exercise. Experts of our physiotherapy clinic in Toronto highly advise staying gentle while performing stretching exercises.
5) Hot & Cold Treatment: Heat is used to make blood reach the infected area. And more blood flow clearly means more oxygen and all the essential nutrients. Cold treatment reduces the things like inflammation, swelling, redness, etc. Thus, hot & cold treatment, another sub-part of physiotherapy is another reliable treatment for Sciatica pain.
We hope that you have got enough information about Sciatica and how can physiotherapy help you to get rid of the same. Sciatica might make you feel frustrated, but your patience, some exercises, and some precautions can heal the condition within a very less time period.
Also, it’s always advisable to perform every exercise after the consultation from the experts and to be extremely gentle while performing them. To get reliable guidance, do reach out to our physiotherapy experts in Toronto by using the contact number 416-252-4855. Also, do read our Google Reviews to get clarity on the quality of every service we offer and the results our treatment has delivered for years.